Planning and Development

Development Authority:

Development Officer

Earla Wagar
Phone: 780-636-3620

Municipal Planning Commission

The Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) is a municipal board responsible for reviewing and making decisions on discretionary use development applications, and may also provide advice and input on strategic planning processes. Any non-conforming decisions that are discretionary cannot be approved by the Development Officer and must go to the MPC.

The MPC is made up of (2) members of Council and (1) Member-at-Large.

Subdivision Authority:

The Municipal Planning Services Agency is our Subdivision Authority. If you have any questions regarding the subdivision process, please call them at 780-486-1991 or visit their

Why do I need a development permit?

Development permits are required pursuant to the Village of Hines Creek’s Land Use Bylaw No. 392-98. The development permit ensures that the land owners proposed use of the land does not conflict with surrounding uses, complies with the Land Use District and meets the appropriate set-back distances from the property lines, utilities, buildings, roadways, and any other structures deemed relevant by the development officer and/or the Municipal Planning Commission.

Planning Documents

Development Permit Requirements:

Legal Address: Lot, Block, and Plan

Civic Address: Street Address

Mailing Address: Provide contact information

Site Plan: A bird’s eye view of your property, including location from property lines, distance of existing and proposed structures from the property lines, size of buildings, access to street or land, size of lot, landscaping and location of utilities.

Building Plans: Including floor, elevations, exterior finishing, survey and landscape plans.

Use of the Land: What the land be used for – Residential, storage, commercial, home based business.


Development permits are available at the Village Office for a charge of $10

Relationship Between Planning Documents

The hierarchy of documents within the Village of Vilna's Land Use Planning Framework is established by the Municipal Government Act (MGA).  The MGA requires that each level is consistent with the level above and below it, and that the policies or regulations within Planning Documents at each level may be implemented by those below them in the decision making process.  The MGA provides the legislative authority for municipal land-use planning and decision-making, while Land-Use Policies provide broad based policy directions and principles for municipal land use planning, which are effected through statutory plans and Bylaws.  The Intermunicipal Development Plan provides future direction for the development and use of lands at the fringe areas of the Village boundaries while the Municipal Development Plan provides direction for areas within the municipality.  The Land Use Bylaw (LUB) regulates the use and development of land based on the policy directions of development plans, while the Subdivision and Development Regulation regulates subdivision planning in conjunction with the MGA, applicable development plans, and the Land Use Bylaw. The polices, studies, guidelines and other documents contain additional information or specific requirements outside statutory plans and the LUB documents that are considered for certain types of development permit and subdivision applications. Where there is a conflict or inconsistency between a higher-level planning document and a lower-level planning document, the higher-level planning document prevails to the extent of the conflict or inconsistency.

The Village of Vilna's Land Use Planning Framework can be illustrated as follows:

Additional Permit Requirements:

After receiving a development permit from the Village, you may require additional permits for safety codes inspections such as:

  • Building Permit
  • Electrical Permit
  • Gas Permit
  • Plumbing

To find more information on where to get these permits click here to the Safety Codes Council website:

The Development Process: