For Immediate Release
Date: June 19, 2023 12:00 PM
Contact: Scott Franchuk, County Fire Chief
Phone: (780) 656-3730
Fax: (780) 656-3768
FIRE BAN Smoky Lake County & Village of Vilna "HAS BEEN LIFTED"
The rain this past week has reduced the fire risk and the condition is now is considered to be a "FIRE ADVISORY" status. This means that you can hold your back yard fire pit gatherings.
* Off-Highway Vehicles can start wildfires - check frequently to ensure hot spots are free of debris, and make sure mufflers and spark arrestors are working properly..
* Never leave a campfire unattended. Soak it, stir it and soak it again until cool to the touch to ensure it is extinguished.
- FIRE PIT STANDARDS
- In this part a fire pit means an outdoor receptacle used for recreational fire that meets the following specifications:
- The location is at least 4.5 meters (14.8) feet from any Building, Property line or combustible material;
- The opening does not exceed 82 cm (32 inches) in width or in diameter;
- The installation has enclosed sides made of non-combustible material;
- It has spark arrester mesh screen cover with an opening no larger than 1.25 cm (1/2 inches);
- Is not located over any underground utilities or under any above ground wires.
- "Existing Fire receptacles shall be grandfathered with the understanding that in the event of an incident, the property owner shall be liable for all costs." such as was in place as of 2012 when this bylaw was written.
- When using a fire pit there shall be no burning of grass, weeds, leaves, tree limbs, garden refuse, garbage or other material and not anything contrary to federal, provincial or municipal legislation or regulations.
- Every Owner or Occupier who builds, ignites or allows a fire in an approved fire pit must ensure that:
- Only dry or seasoned wood intended for recreational purposes is used;
- A means of extinguishing the fire is kept on hand at all times while the fire is burning;
- The flames from the fire do not exceed 1 meter in height at any time;
- The fire is supervised at all times by a responsible person;
- Prior to leaving the fire, the fire is extinguished completely, leaving only cold ashes.
- Any Community organization wishing to host a public event with a bonfire shall first apply to the Vilna Fire Department for a Permit.